What to do if you lose your passport or identity card

The Swiss passport fallen on the lawn
(Photo: fedpol)

Your passport/identity card is considered 'lost' if it has been stolen, lost/misplaced or completely destroyed. To obtain a new identity document, you must submit proof to the cantonal passport office that you have reported the loss to the Swiss police. If you are abroad, you must obtain proof of loss from the police of the country you are in and submit it to the next Swiss embassy or consulate.

The stolen, lost or destroyed document becomes officially invalid, and its number is registered in a national and international database.

If you lose your identity document while abroad

If you lose your identity document while abroad, report its loss to the nearest police station and ask for written confirmation of this. You can then apply for a replacement document at the next Swiss embassy or consulate. On no account should you use it again if it turns up.

Passport control
Swiss embassies and consulates

Last modification 25.10.2022

Top of page